Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's the book fairiest time of the year!

Hi Readers!
It is Pineville Scholastic book fair time!  It's the best time of the year because Mr. Steve Black comes and talks to all the teachers about the new and wonderful books that Scholastic has to offer, and raffles off prizes too!  I hope you have a chance to stop by in the morning or after school (or maybe at lunch time!) to pick up a new book or two for your reader. 
Speaking of reading...
The kids should be reading at least 30 minutes each night for homework.  I know it isn't something I track, but it really does make a difference.  It is hard to regulate at home.  I have a 4th grader.  This year she asked if she could stay up later, so we made the compromise that she would go to bed at 8:00 as usual, but could read in bed for 30 minutes.  She always yells goodnight to us before she turns off her light, so I figured at 9:20 one night she must have fallen asleep while reading.  NOPE!  She was wide awake and in a literary land somewhere far away!  Maybe that is something that works for you.  Also, they do not have to read an AR book at home.  We talked today about the different types of things they could read.  Magazines, non-fiction, video game guides, newspapers, comic books, and even cookbooks!  As long as they are comfortable, interested, and reading!
As for me, I can't wait for Mr. Steve Black to show up at Pineville tomorrow afternoon.  He always has a book or three or five that will take me to a far away place...

No comments:

Post a Comment